Sunday, June 5, 2011

Work, Coach, Practice...Repeat

I started work this week at the club on Tuesday. I got there at 9 and had to wait for Jakob to get there. When he arrived he put me to work re-finishing the wooden playground equipment and stair handrails. It was a cold but nice day. After I finished with that it was time for lunch and then waiting around for 3 o'clock coaching to start. Dori, the coach I help out, was running late so I had to get both teams out and warming up. I got them started and then Dori arrived. The weather was now wet and freezing.  After coaching finished around 6 I went back inside to grab a quick snack wait for my team's session at 6:30. Practice was a little frustrating because I was already so cold and tired. I didn't get home until 9 that night. So it was an extremely long day. On and interesting note, Jakob went to SCAD with Erin and Haley. It is such a small world.

Wednesday, was much better. I got to work at 10 this time and was able to stay inside :). I cleaned up the equipment room, packed up the lost and found to be sent to Goodwill, and washed all the doors in the club. There are a lot of doors. Then it was time for coaching but I was on my own. I was running a session on shooting, crossing, and getting in the box to finish. We finished with some 11v11 on half the field. It was a bit crowded. Wednesdays are my team's day off so I got to go home early. Tinna and I went to Ikea to buy a pan to make lasagna. We ended up also getting some other much needed cooking utensils.

Thursday was a national "no work" day in Iceland. One thing I love about Iceland is that work does not rule their lives. If they want time off they get it. They get 5 weeks vacation every year and random "no work" days. I believe we have 3 "no work" days left in June :). We practiced at 11 and it was fantastic. everyone was buzzing and it was a lot of fun. Tinna and I took advantage of the day and went to see X-men: First Class and really enjoyed it. When we got home I attempted to make lasagna, but unfortunately they don't have Italian Sausage or Ricotta cheese. I found some sausage that looked promising, but it ended up not working they way I would have liked. The lasagna turned out O.K. but I will definitely be trying again and will just use ground beef next time.

Friday it was back to work and I was outside again. Luckily it was a nice morning. I painted shipping containers used for storage that had been graffiti'd and also the ticket shed. My hands are still blue and white.  Practice was with an older group of boys 15-16 and four of the older girls. Then it was time for a gk session.  I had three gks and we worked on breakaways. Team practice came around and half of our team couldn't be there so we had a fun session. We got to play soccer tennis, and of course my team dominated;). After that we played a few rounds of 4v4. I decided I wanted to score and took a shot from 25 yds out and it went in. I was super excited. Sometimes I get tired of just keeping the ball out of the net and I want to put it in the other goal. It was a great practice.

Saturday we went to downtown Reykjavik in search of a rubber spatula. The one we bought from IKEA melted the first time we used it :(.  We ended up finding one and then just walked around for a while. One of our teammates had a booth set up at the market so we went to say hi. Lunch was awesome, we went to this small place by the harbor and had Lobster soup. It was UNBELIEVABLE. Very simple, but delicious. After that we went home and I took a nap. I was exhausted. The Men's national team played Denmark, so we went with two of our teammates and watched. It was a good game and Iceland dominated most of it but just couldn't finish. Denmark got a couple of looks and finished 2. It was a little disappointing but we finished the day off with some Doctor Who when we got home.

1 comment:

  1. wally i miss you. I'm so glad i'm coming to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete